Thursday, December 30, 2010

Can God help our children when we've removed Him from our schools?

The poem below was taken from a brilliant and inspired House speech entitled "Prayer in America" by Congressmen Roscoe Bartlett (R-Maryland) on September 5, 2003. The Honorable Representative states,

A couple of years ago a young woman in a high school in Oklahoma wrote this poem as a new school prayer:

Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule.
For this great nation under God,
Finds mention of him very odd.
If scripture now the class recites
It violates the Bill of Rights.
Any time my head I bow
Becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange, or green.
That's no offense; it's a freedom scene. T
he law is specific, the law is precise.
Only prayers spoken out loud are serious vice.
For praying in a public hall
Might offend someone who has no faith at all.
In silence alone we must meditate,
God's name is prohibited by the State.

We are allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.
They have outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.
To quote the Good Book makes me liable.
We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
And the 'unwed daddy' our Senior King.

It is inappropriate to teach right from wrong,
We are taught that such 'judgments' do not belong.
We can get our condoms and birth controls,
Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.

But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
No word of God must reach this crowd.
It is scary here I must confess,
When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
So Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot, my soul please take.

No comments: