Saturday, September 13, 2008

BYU wins UCLA

I must admit I don't follow sports like I used to, but I've followed members of my church who've played: Steve Young spoke at my sister's high school graduation years ago. After Dale Murphy retired, he served as a mission president in Boston. And, I once saw Shawn Bradley in my congregation in Dallas. To say he's tall would be an understatement. I went to church with Rulon Gardner, the Greco-Roman wrestler with the biggest upset in the Olympic games (Sidney 2000). He used to let our baby daughter, who's now grown, suck on his expensive watches during Sunday School.

Anyway, it's a good day to me, even though I don't follow sports, when Brigham Young University does well -- handing UCLA its worst lost in nearly 80 years.

PS I also went to high school with a guy who was on the Olympic bomb sled team that won the Silver Medal at the Salt Lake games.

2 comments:

Cindi M said...

Shawn Bradley and I (not to say that I actually knew him) were entering freshmen the same year at BYU. Yep, he's TALL!

G. Parker said...

No name dropping, huh? grin. I'm with you. We are WAY excited when BYU does so well. I was relieved that they continued to slam Wyoming too.