Saturday, February 14, 2009

Attitude Determines Altitude

"You're going as high and as far in this life as you ATTITUDE will let you," I remember one inspirational speaking saying over a decade ago. I haven't forgotten it.

Interestingly, the phrase "attitude determines altitude" has new found meaning to me as of late, especially after watching a great documentary film. Last weekend I dropped by the local video store and checked out the new releases. I was absolutely surprised and delighted to see the documentary film Blindsight. I had planned on purchasing it recently anyway. So, of course, I rented the award-winning film. We watched it as a family.

The film is about a blind mountain climbing team hiking the highest mountains in the world…in Tibet. The team of experienced mountain guides in the film hail from among the best climbers in the world—Erik Weihenmayer, a blind man who reached the summit of Mount Everest in 2001, and Jeff Evans, who led him there.

I highly recommend Blindsight and Farther Than the Eye Can See, a film about the latter ascent, as well as Jeff Evans' book Mountain Vision: Lessons Beyond the Summit. You can purchase it on-line at http://www.mountain-vision.com/.

No comments: