Sunday, May 18, 2008

Gas Prices



Above are pictures of the last tent I lived in in Iraq, the Port-a-John toliets we used throughout the year, and an Iraqi gas station. For gas, there were no buildings or gas pumps, just jugs filled with gasoline on the side of the roadway.

I believe it was on May 5th last year, that Kuwait changed their gas prices from the U.S. dollar to the Euro. Our dollar is about half what the Euro is worth. If the U.S. dollar continues to decline or OPEC or gasoline suppliers agree to rate the price of gas to the Euro, we'll be paying about double at the gas pumps, according to the exchange rate today.

My speciality isn't economics, but I believe that if the Federal Reserve lowers the interest rates anymore than the current 2 percent, it will continue to diminish the worth of the dollar.

If I had money to invest, I'd dump it into gas and oil. But since I'm like the majority of Americans and don't have millions to invest, let alone thousands, I desperately hope that our government leaders make wise choices and enact wise laws for all of us. And in the meantime, I'm going to fill up a couple of 5-gallon tanks to store in the event of an emergency.

No comments: