Friday, May 2, 2008

"S" stands for Stupid

"Daddy," my daughter would say urgently, "[my son] just said the S-word." Unless they've learned another S-word since I've been gone, "S" stands for Stupid, not the other S-word which my wife and I avoid altogether.

Stupid is not a nice word, especially when you call others stupid, so we've tried not to use it. But in reality there are stupid people.

A buddy of mine once asked rhetorically, "Do you know how they say, 'there's no such thing as a stupid question'? Well," he answered himself without a pause, "there are stupid questions and there are stupid people." I laughed because, well...he's right. Here's more proof:

Just reviewing today headlines I learned that someone tried to cash a $360 billion dollar check. He was arrested.

And here's something even more disturbing. Indian Babies Dropped 50 Feet for Good Luck in Bizarre Ritual. When will people learn that some traditions are just plain dumb?

There's a word I learned when I was my daughter's age that means 'stupid person.' It starts with an "A" and sometimes is preceded with the word dumb.

No comments: