Sunday, March 2, 2008

Letters Home

Today I read a letter Joseph Smith wrote to his wife Emma on November 12, 1838, from Richmond, Missouri. It seems to reflect my own situation well. It reads:

I received your letter, which I read over and over again; it was a sweet morsel to me. O God, grant that I may have the privilege of seeing once more my lovely family in the enjoyment of the sweets of liberty and social life. To press them to my bosom and kiss their lovely cheeks would fill my heart with unspeakable gratitude. Tell the children that I am alive and trust I shall come and see them before long. Comfort their hearts all you can, and try to be comforted yourself all you can…

P.S. Write as often as you can… Act according to your own feelings and best judgment, and endeavor to be comforted, if possible, and I trust that all will turn out for the best.


(Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, 2007, p. 241.)

No comments: