Friday, December 7, 2007

My Relationship With The Romney’s

I liked what Mitt Romney said in Texas during his speech about religion a couple days ago. It’s not just because he and I go to the same church, though—although we do share the same views about faith, the inspired U.S. Constitution and the Founding Fathers.

My father-in-law serves on the Romney campaign for the Iowa Caucus. He told me he had an in-depth discussion on the flip-floppiness of the Presidential candidate with Romney’s brother recently. My father-in-law has some poignant feelings about that, but obviously still feels that Romney’s the best hope for the future of America. I’m inclined to agree. (And, I think on the Republican ticket, Mike Huckabee would make a great Vice President.)

I ran into Mitt Romney’s cousin, Brent, a couple of years ago. I hadn’t seen him in a while. He’s a few years younger than Mitt and a typical Romney: tall, handsome, articulate, and a leader in the community. We spoke about whether his cousin would run for President or run against Kennedy again for a seat in the Senate.

Ironically, where I ran into him was near the place where Joseph Smith, the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was murdered. At the time of the assassination (1844), Joseph Smith was a candidate for the President of the United States. Interestingly, a large part of his platform was to free the slaves. Many outside the religion felt that with the votes of his many followers he stood a good chance of getting elected. If he had not been killed, perhaps he would have been the first President who was also a member of the Church of Jesus Christ.

One of my buddies, a former Secret Service agent, was on a protection detail years ago when Mrs. Romney ran up to him and gave him a big hug. He grew up with the Romney children and was a good family friend. No, he isn’t a member of the Romney’s faith, but a good Christian man and active in his church.

When considering the threat to the lives of Presidential candidates, there are undoubtedly some who would rather see Romney dead. But fortunately, the media has been more objective of Romney’s faith (and mine) than they were for the first Mormon Presidential candidate.

No comments: